Loring Smart Roast designs and manufactures the most innovative coffee roasting solutions in the world.
Their roasters offer more intelligent control of the roast process than conventional roasters. The patented technology and parametric profiling system allow the roast masters to extract flavors from the beans while dramatically reducing energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
As Director and Chief technical leader for the Design and Manufacturing engineering groups:
• Provide technical leadership and support to senior management in executing the Loring roadmap.
• Drive the research and develop new technologies for integration into the Loring product lines to maintain Loring’s leadership in the coffee roasting industry
• Drive robust product development processes and stage gate reviews
• NPI, sustaining engineering, continuous improvement of processes, procedures and standards.
• Program Management, Configuration Management, Document Control and ISO/Quality Management
Oversaw design and development of high performance electromechanical actuator systems that push envelope of engineering design, material capability, and manufacturing techniques. Develop new technologies and analysis techniques to meet demanding requirements. Managed engineers, CAD designers and analysts, performance reviews, salary planning, budgets, forecasts, reviewing technical reports, engineering change request (ECR) and engineering change order (ECO) approvals, site subject matter expert for defense federal acquisition regulation supplement (DFARS) and specialty metals, Corrosion Prevention and Control plan.
• Improved productivity of team with 20 members by acquiring needed software tools and workstations, coaching and mentoring each person helping to improve technical strengths, collaboration, and teamwork. Enhanced career assessment and development planning process.
• Quickly doubled on-site staff in 10 months, 3 times including borrowed resources, defined skill needs, rewrote job descriptions, and drove intensive recruiting process with HR, agencies, social media. Resolved critical staffing shortfalls
• Implemented site-wide WindChill application for product data management and SharePoint for collaboration. Lobbied for implementation priority, created and drove implementation.
• Led 3 failure investigations, pulled together appropriate team, drove fault tree analysis, made assignments, tracked progress, ensured that all changes to processes or designs were implemented.
• Authored multiple proposals, white papers, developed program estimates, winning 5 major contracts.
Research, distill and disseminate information about sustainable technologies making positive contributions to local and globally community. Bring together technologist, investors and policy makers to identify barriers and develop creative solutions advancing sustainable solutions via website and seminars.
• Defined and met 2010 metrics, structured and defined roles and responsibilities for EcoGreenGroup executive team by leading outreach program and establishing key partnerships with outside organizations.
• Improved company website by developing information architecture, structure and content for website by researching new technologies in renewable energy, energy storage, smart grid and electric transportation.
• Developed 2010 and 2011 technology roadmap, defining theme and content for forums and leading team to structure and deliver quarterly technical seminars on sustainability topics.
Provided established and emerging companies the expertise driving new initiatives, enhance project management skills and infrastructure optimizing processes, increased competitiveness, market share, and profitability.
• Improved management practices, implemented project management methodologies by analyzing and changing business model increasing revenue growth and profitability. Developed SOP’s, manuals to improve product quality.
• Improved productivity 30% and profitability 20% by improving employee morale, project planning and using project management tools streamlining operations and implementing LEAN methodology.
• Defined job descriptions, sourced, assessed and selected technical resources for CIMAC-US, Fixit and UltraCard.
• Performed technical patent portfolio analysis for clients. Patent analysis included commercialization, standards, detect-ability, avoid-ability, and assessment of novelty and vulnerability of patents.
Led design and delivery of improved equipment solutions for R&D, NPI (New Product Introduction), and manufacturing. Installed new equipment and upgrades for system utilization and yield improvements to US and Asia production facilities. Managed capital budgets of $20M. Supported high-volume, 24x7 production facilities.
• Directed design, specification, justification and implementation of process equipment, and led specification, validation and verification of systems from CM’s and Japanese suppliers.
• Delivered system that significantly reduced design turns and development costs by designing new equipment that improved throughput by 19%, and automation upgrades equipment availability and MTBF by 40%.
Enterprise stewardship of design data in ERP/CAD systems. Managed multiple projects with globally dispersed teams that significantly improved engineering design, supply chain processes and significantly reduced design turns, TTM. Championed improvements in data standards and intra system synchronization of Enterprise Data.
• Saved $45M over 3 years by enabling rapid access to knowledge based component data to design, supply chain, field support, NPI, PLM and LEAN projects and providing data on component EOL, safety issues and field failures.
• Eliminated over 90% of ECO and OF problems yielding $6M per year savings, reduced data errors in order fulfillment, PDM, and ERP systems to less than 1%. Championed Change Management efforts in user community.
• Managed and mentored program managers and engineers in US, India and Malaysia that successfully drove initiatives in ERP implementation, RoHS, data quality and customer satisfaction metrics.
Led the Fremont and Milpitas equipment engineering teams in new capital equipment design, capacity planning, new factory design, capital asset management, site expansions and shutdowns for the ISO 9001 Media Factory and R&D facility. Managed 30 engineers/managers and annual budgets up to $104M.
• Led capital equipment design teams, commonality initiatives, automation, robotics and DFx strategies. Drove collaborative projects with OEM’s and CM’s. Ensured all process equipment met SEMI S2/S9, UL, NFPA and local regulations. The process equipment set included cleaning systems, polishers, vacuum deposition, certifiers, and robotics, metrology and inspection systems.
• Used systems methodology and simulation tools to define and optimize factory automation strategy. Reduced WIP and total Takt time to improve throughput. Implemented design review processes incorporating six sigma and FMEA techniques to drive yields. Influenced R&D design teams to improve equipment reliability, throughput and product manufacturability. Utilized PLM methods to drive project to meet / exceed cost and budget goals.
• Managed, coached and mentored engineers and managers. Transformed Connor and Seagate equipment groups into a synergistic team over a nine-month period, increasing process and measurement tool availability by 12%, throughput by 18% and process yields by 9%. Supported 24x7 pilot lines and high volume production facilities.